Hello? I know you're out there... can you help me? Yes, you! I am trying to quit smoking and need some support. My husbands idea of support is harping and nagging me to death. *FYI it just pisses me off* My family is unable to offer support due to the fact that they are still interested in killing themselves.
I have been a smoker for 12 years now. It started because I was young and hanging out with older kids who smoked and almost every adult in my family smoked. I have watched 3 grandparents die because of this addiction, one aunt, and not one of my aunts uncles, or parents look healthy, but rather suffocated.
Each day I smoke I feel more miserable about it. I hate that I smoke, I hate everything about it, and yet I have failed every time I tried to quit. I have tried, patches, gum, hypnosis, habit changing, straws, candy, magnets, rubber band snapping, and even scaring myself into quiting. The longest I ever quit was a month.
Today I want to turn over a new leaf. I woke this morning and smoked my last cigarette. I coughed up a lung and was reminded of why I want to quit so badly. I can't play with my kids without getting out of breath. I want this, but I need help.
I told my husband what I planned on doing. He... of course is happy. I told him that if I can't quit this time, I'm going to the Dr. to get help. But first.... I'm going to try this cold turkey. I am out of cigarettes, and I keep telling my self that I'm really glad I quit.
I could really use some encouragement from you guys though...
I know it's going to be a tough road ahead... but I also know... it's worth it!
Quit Date: April 21st 8:00am

3 comments:
I am so proud of you!!! I quit a little over 6 months ago and this time it has been totally different than the rest. I truley believe you have to make that decision that you are done and not be forced into it. I used Welbutrin SR as an aid to the cravings and I munched on carrot sticks or gum when I really felt the urge. But withing a couple of weeks I quit using the medication and didn't need the extra aids.
You can do it!!!! I have faith in you!!!! You will be so happy with yourself not to mention how proud your family/friends will be. I also have been saving the $ I would have been spending on cigarettes for the past 6 months. I'm already over $700. You should consider the same thing. Then you'll have a "reward" when you reach a certain date or amount. I'm buying a Gucci handbag at a year. LOL!!!
Please feel free to email me if you need any encouragement or advice. XOXO
As an adiictions counselor I can only tell you that it is up to you if you really want to quit. I know many people scoff at The 12 Steps, but AA began in the 30's and the steps can be applied to any addicition. Get in a support group too.
You can do it!!! You are a mom, right? Moms are amazing. You can do it!!!
Post a Comment